Payment and Performance Bond


In some business transactions, one party needs to trust another to accomplish some required tasks. In such cases, a payment and performance bond may be necessary. These bonds help ensure work is completed on time and meets agreed-upon criteria. If contractors or service providers fail to fulfill their commitment, a payment and performance bond will compensate the other party for damages up to the full amount of the bond. The violating party will then be responsible for repaying the bond amount to the bonding agency.

Who Needs a Payment and Performance Bond?

Performance bonds are common requirements in construction and real estate development deals. Several contractors will often submit bids for such jobs. Once a bid is accepted, the contractor with the winning bid will purchase a performance bond to ensure that the contractor performs the work within the specifications of the bid contract. If there is a performance failure, the other party will be able to collect compensation up to the full amount of the bond.

Most construction contracts have completion requirements, meaning that the contractor must complete the work to specifications or the bond amount is paid to the client. The contractor who failed to complete the work will have to pay back the bond amount to the bond agency.

Sometimes, commodity transactions utilize performance bonds. This helps ensure that a buyer will be able to recoup expenses if the seller fails to deliver the purchased commodities or goods. In the United States, the Miller Act of 1932 set the standard that all construction contracts issued by the federal government require backing from a performance bond.

Performance bonds protect the value of the work to be completed or the goods purchased, ensuring that the other party “performs” according to the parties’ agreement or that work is completed according to agreed-upon specifications.

If you have questions regarding payment and performance bonds, feel free to contact Smith Bond and Surety for a consultation.

866-451-4222 or